Fellow Foodie Lovers

Powered by Blogger.

Cupcake Cupid:

Archived Blogs

Configure your calendar archive widget - Edit archive widget - Flat List - Newest first - Choose any Month/Year Format

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Not Your Average Ice Cream Truck

Gone are the childhood days of chasing down the signature ice cream truck tune (nope, I haven’t done this recently...)  But who’s to say we, as adults, can’t still enjoy ice cream trucks? Rather than the vintage white truck with pre-packaged ice creams and popsicles, DC’s ice cream fleet offers a wide variety of frozen treats. Here’s to squeezing in a review of DC’s ice cream trucks before summer comes to an end!

(in no particular order)

Dolci Gelati – Starting with the newest of the ice cream trucks, Dolci Gelati serves gelato and sorbet. I was told that all their creations are made by an Italian chef!  I’ve only tried their pistachio gelato, which had real pistachio pieces, and passion fruit sorbet so far. I wanted to love their gelato but I really wasn’t  blown away by it. Their passion fruit sorbet on the other hand…amazing!! One sample bite and I was sold. I also sampled their cilantro lime sorbet, which was surprisingly tasty and refreshing. They offer their treats in a cone or cup.  The first time I stopped by, they had cones stuffed with cake in the middle…how I turned down that option I honestly don’t know. Perhaps I’ll try these cones on my next visit :)

Pistachio Gelato
Orange Cow – I’ve tried Orange Cow on several occasions and it never disappoints. They serve homemade ice cream in several different flavors. I’ve tried the chocolate oreo and peanut butter cup so far. Both flavors are deliciously soft and creamy! A solid ice cream truck to try~

Street Cream – NEVER trying this truck. Why? They don’t even make their own ice cream. Why would I pay Street Cream to purchase ice cream from another vendor and then charge me for store-bought toppings?  ‘Nuff said.

Sinplicity – Hands down my favorite DC ice cream truck! Their ice cream flavors are unique and delicious; I highly recommend the Snickerdoodle with Cinnamon and Dark Rum, Raspberry and White Chocolate Truffle, and the Salty Caramel. They also serve amazing sorbets such as the Blackberry Cabernet and Mango with Dark Rum and Lime.  All their ice creams and sorbets are served with a small piece of biscotti too :) My all-time favorite, however, is Sinplicity’s ice cream ‘Sinwhiches’. These are no ordinary ice cream sandwiches, ladies and gentlemen. Their amazing ice cream is held together by 2 macaroons! Soft, pliable, crunchy on the outside maracoons! They offer 4 flavors, 2 of which I’ve tried and I haven’t been able to pry myself away from these 2: Cow Pie and Tipsy Strawberry. The Cow Pie is chocolate ice cream with kalua-soaked brownies between 2 cocoa macaroons, and the Tipsy Strawberry is strawberry ice cream with margarita curds held between 2 crimson macaroon. (I swear I’m not an alcoholic) This $6 treat is completely worth it! Don’t let summer pass you by without trying Sinplicity!

Tipsy Strawberry Sinwich
Pleasant Pops – Although not technically an ice cream truck, Pleasant Pops provides a refreshing
reprieve from the sweltering summer heat at about $3 a pop. Made from locally sourced ingredients,
Pleasant Pops’ quirky and unexpected popsicle flavors are rotated weekly. So far I’ve tried their Peach Hibiscus, Strawberry Banana, Cookies and Cream, and the Chongos, which is Mexican sweet cream and cinnamon, all of which I have loved. Pleasant Pops is able to turn unique, unusual flavors into popsicle deliciousness; you will be pleasantly surprised :P

Goodies Frozen Custard and Treats – I will confess I have tried almost everything on their menu :X Their custard is truly something else. It’s creamy, buttery, and just the right amount frozen. Brandon, the owner, comes up with tasty creations such as the many milk shakes and sundaes he offers. My favorites, however, are usually the specials written on the chalk board. Such specials include the red velvet donut ice cream sandwich, peach cobbler, and the blueberry donut ice cream sandwich. The only down side is that their tasty creations cost around $6 or more...indulge a little at your wallet’s expense!

Red Velvet Donut Sandwich
Look out for these ice cream trucks at the upcoming Truckeroo and around DC! Hope this helps you decide which trucks to try :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment