Fellow Foodie Lovers

Powered by Blogger.

Cupcake Cupid:

Archived Blogs

Configure your calendar archive widget - Edit archive widget - Flat List - Newest first - Choose any Month/Year Format

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Food Truck Reviews - The Salsa Room Empanadas & Sang On Wheels

Get ready for a 2 in 1 special...2 food trucks in 1 review :P 
I was first lured into trying The Salsa Room Empanadas by their blurb on foodtruckfiesta.com: “the most authentic best freshest handmade baked empanadas.” So I thought to myself…I must try these and see what they are raving about. I ordered a cheese and jalapeño empanada and my cube-mate ordered 2 other flavors, which I don’t remember now. As always, I will be (brutally) honest in my review. 
To make a long story short, their cheese and jalapeño empanada was terrible, absolutely disgusting. I’ve had empanadas many times before and I know this is not how empanadas are supposed to taste. There was barely any filling inside; a thin layer of cheese coated the bottom of the otherwise empty empanada shell. The cheese wasn’t even melted, it was a hard layer with pieces of jalapeño mixed in. When I say pieces, I mean a handful of tiny, diced jalapeño. The empanada shell was flaky and hard. I’m not sure why they called it a cheese and jalapeño empanada because there was neither any cheese nor jalapeño in their sad rendition that they claim is an empanada. 
What is this sad thing they dare call an "empanada"? >:O 
My cube-mate had a similar experience with her empanadas as well. Needless to say, I will NOT be trying anything from this truck again and recommend that you steer clear from their “authentic” empanadas despite any story or blurb they try to sell you. They have a fancy-looking truck with a fancy-sounding name but they sure as heck do not have fancy-tasting empanadas.  
While I’m in the bad-food-review mood, I’ll also share my pad thai experience from Sang On Wheels. Sang On Wheels is the only Laotian food truck that I know of in the area. They also sell some Thai food but specialize in Laotian cuisine. I wanted to try their papaya salad but they didn’t have any at the time, so I went with their chicken pad thai. 
Is this Pad Thai?
First of all, the noodles were clear vermicelli-like noodles, which really boggled my mind even before I tasted it. Pad thai is usually made with slightly thicker noodles. There was barely any seasoning and although the noodles had a very red tint, they were not the least bit spicy or salty; if anything, the pad thai was sweet. The chicken was overly dry and chunky. I’m not sure where they got their pad thai recipe from but I ate a few bites and didn’t want anymore. The only thing stopping me from saying avoid this truck at all costs is that they do, however, have very good mangoes with sticky rice! Hopefully when I try their papaya salad, I’ll have better things to say about this truck. For now, I would advise "sticking" with the mangoes and sticky rice :P 
Mango with Sticky Rice



0 comments:

Post a Comment